The Legacy Behind The Meghan Beeler Cafe

Shea Anderson

The Meghan Beeler Cafe is stopped by every day by St. Joe students and staff, but few know about the story of the woman whose name hangs above it. 

Margret “Meghan” Beeler graduated from St. Joseph High School in 1991 and was on the track team, freshman basketball, National Honors Society, SADD, and Student Council.  She was also an all state swimmer, sectional champion four times and a volunteer at the Center for the Homeless. After graduating from Saint Joe, She went on to swim collegiately at the University of Notre Dame. Sadly, on January 27, 1992 Meghan and another freshman died in a tragic bus accident during a snowstorm while they were traveling back to South Bend after a swim meet on the toll road.

Meghan’s memory still lives on all throughout the community where she grew up through her many friends and family. She is remembered as touching and always “bringing the best out of everyone.”

Meghan has touched many lives, especially the Saint Joe community. As a memorial for her, Saint Joe unveiled the Meghan Beeler Cafe when the new building was completed.  The cafe, run by the FBLA,  is where students buy delicious snacks.

Family and friends of Meghan are overjoyed to have the cafe designated in Meghan’s memorial. Her sister, Molly says, “It is a cherished honor to have the Cafe named for my sister, Meg. Her name will live in perpetuity at Saint Joe High School that she loved so much!”