Indians Hockey Takes On Another Draining Weekend

Center, Jack Plomin facing off against LSJ

Kalvin Kerwin, Staff Writer

Your Saint Joseph Indians took on games 8 and 9 this past weekend. Playing Valpo on Friday night at 7 and South West Blades Sunday evening at 4:30 – both held at the Ice Box.

The Indians came out strong against a skilled Valpo team and put two biscuits in early in the first period. The first goal was scored with 14 minutes left by sophomore Deve, (Stephen Eckrich). The second goal was put in by Senior leader Kalvin Kerwin with 13 minutes left to go in the first period. The scoring slowed down following these and the period ended 2-0 St. Joe. The momentum shifted when Valpo put two goals past Senior Kyle Tupper, ending the period tied 2-2.

The Indians got a short break as the ice was being groomed to pick it back up, only to get back on the ice and have Valpo put another one in the back of our net. The period went on with the one goal lead for Valpo, but then with 4 seconds left in the final period St. Joe pulled the goalie for an extra skater and Kerwin and Meiszberg put the puck in the back of the net off the rebound from Deve. To overtime they went where the Indians fell short of the victory. Valpo found a way to get the puck past Tupper in sudden death overtime to end the game 4-3.

On Sunday evening St. Joe hockey played a tough South West Blades team from Kalamazoo, Michigan. Once again the Indians came out fast and strong with a goal coming from Kalvin Kerwin on the first shift of the night. That goal put us in good spirits until the Blades tied us up ending the first period 1-1. The hockey team could not get it together in the second period allowing the Southwest team to score 3 addition goals but Sneaky Pete was able to sneak one past. Shortly after the Indians went back to the locker after the second to try and figure things out. When the ice was done and after getting a stern talking to by coaches, the third period began but the gears just weren’t spinning. The blades scored a final goal in the third period to put us away and the game ended 5-2.

The Hockey team is still down defenseman Misiu Jaskiewicz from contact tracing. Sean Kiley another Indians defenseman is out with a broken wrist after blocking a shot against the Riley Wildcats. Misiu is back this week and Saladman is back on November 20th.

The Hockey team needs to pick up the pace next weekend playing LSJ on Friday, November 13th at 7 and they are also scheduled to play Adams on Saturday and Crown Point Sunday.

*Saturday and Sunday games may change.