Good News for Swimming!

Beacon Health Systems

The Saint Joe Indians swam against the Elkhart Lions on December 14.

John Bossler, Staff Writer

The Saint Joseph Girls and Boys Swimming and Diving teams have found a pool!  A waiver was submitted to the IHSAA requesting for swimmers to practice with Irish Aquatics, a local swim club, for the majority of the week.  After a long wait, the waiver was approved.  The Girl’s season started October 26th and the Boy’s season started on November 9th..  Practices will be held 7:00-8:30 p.m. every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday at Elkhart Health & Aquatics in Elkhart, Indiana.  Wednesday and Saturday, practices will be held at Washington High School.  The teams are split into two groups for weights sessions before school every day, rotating each day.  

Finding a pool for the swimming and diving teams puts a lot of the student athletes at ease.  I asked Emma Feltzer how she felt about the news and she said, “I am super relieved we found a pool.  I’m super excited to get to swim senior year, and I know Lauren (Pieniazkiewicz) is too.”  Senior Mary Cate Pruitt and junior Jane Lloyd are also very excited about the news.  When asked about it, Mary Cate said, “There are a lot of people working really hard to make sure we can have a season, and we’re super grateful for that.”  Senior Gage Hannewyk said, “I’m happy to know we’re going to get the opportunity to compete this season and hopefully send a few guys down to state.”  The Girls team had their first meet on November 17th and the Boys have their first meet on November 24th.