Boys and Girls Swimming and Diving Celebrate Senior Night in Unprecedented Way

Bonnie Schrems

Seniors (left to right) Saleena Vu, Lauren Pieniazkiewicz, Emma Feltzer, Tatum White, and Mary Cate Pruitt at their meet against Elkhart High School.

John Bossler, Staff Writer

Seniors (left to right) Jack Murray, John Bossler, and Gage Hannewyk prepare for senior night fun. (Bonnie Schrems)

The Boy’s and Girl’s Swimming and Diving teams celebrated their senior night last Friday, January 8th.  This year’s seniors included Saleena Vu, John Bossler, Tatum White, Gage Hannewyk, Lauren Pieniazkiewicz, Mary Cate Pruitt, Jack Murray, and Emma Feltzer.  Due to these unprecedented times, they celebrated in an unprecedented way. 

The teams gathered for a practice at 5:45 and the fun started at 7:00.  Typically with any sport, senior night happens at the last home event of the season, but the Indians got to celebrate at the end of a fun practice.  The teams practiced for about an hour then the teams were split into 5 separate teams of 4 to swim some fun relays after the divers showed off their skills.  The first relay was a typical 200 yard medley relay, the second was a 200 yard freestyle relay, the third was the coach’s choice.  They ended up deciding the swimmers got to swim with lifeguard tubes.  The final relay of the night was a senior parent choice relay.  After days of collaboration, they decided to have the swimmers wear a tutu and pass it on to the next person on the relay.  

The seniors were recognized for their years of hard work and resilience as a part of their programs.  This is a very talented class, with five swimmers committed to Division 1 schools:

Mary Cate Pruitt- University of Notre Dame

John Bossler- University of Louisville

Emma Feltzer- Illinois State University

Lauren Pieniazkiewicz– University of Arkansas at Little Rock

Gage Hannewyk- Xavier University 

Not only is this class talented, it’s smart.  Five seniors are planning to work in the realm of science.

Saleena Vu- Physical Therapy 

John Bossler- Physical Therapy

Tatum White- Orthopedic Physician’s Assistant

Lauren Pieniazkiewicz- Veterinarian

Emma Feltzer- Psychology

Jack Murray is the highest reacher of the group, with plans to open an ice cream shop and use the experience to give TED Talks (genius plan).

Be sure to congratulate the seniors if you see them in the halls!