St. Joe Girl’s Swimming and Diving Take on NIC!

Saleena Vu, Staff Writer

It was a big day for the Saint Joe Girl’s Swim and Dive team on January 16th as they competed against eight other schools for the title of Northern Indiana Conference champions at Elkhart Health & Aquatics Center.

With a roster consisting of eleven swimmers and one diver, it was a hard fought battle against rivals such as Penn High School, but the Indians ended up claiming 2nd place with a score of 414 points. The girls took first place in five of the twelve events and second place in another four events, but were unable to defeat the Penn Kingsmen who won with a score of 626 points.

Even though the team did not finish up on top, two of the senior captains Lauren Pieniazkiewicz and Emma Feltzer recognize the accomplishments achieved that Saturday.

“Even though we didn’t win I feel really good about the results at NIC. Ultimately it wasn’t a fight for first, it was a fight second, and a fight that we worked hard to win. In addition to overall scoring the team did amazing with many wins, top eight finishes and even some records and PB’s. I’m super proud of the team!” said Feltzer about the final results of the NIC meet.

Some of the swimmers that had new personal bests were Maddi Crowley in the 500 freestyle, where she dropped 20 seconds in her race and finished in 10th place, and Emma Morris who dropped 6 seconds in her 100 breaststroke. Izzy Shula also had a great 100 breaststroke, dropping one second and finishing in 3rd place.

Mary Cate Pruitt was recognized as the NIC MVP, as she placed first in the 200 IM and 500 Free, in which she set a new NIC record with a time of 4:53.49. Pruitt also participated in a relay with Emma Feltzer, Lauren Pieniazkiewicz, Jane Lloyd in the 400 Free, breaking another record set by a previous Saint Joe Relay last year with a new time of 3:32.87.

“I would say our team goal is to just swim fast and to dive well. We aren’t really looking for first place finish’s instead we are looking for improving from our best times. Hopefully many of us make it to sectional finals and then on to state!” said Pieniazkiewicz when asked about what the team is aiming for in the future.

Swimming sectional prelims will take place on Thursday, February 4 at Riley High School at 5:30 pm, with finals being held on Saturday, February 6 at 1:00pm. The State Championship Meet is the following week at the IU Natatorium in Indianapolis with Prelims being held Friday, February 12 and finals Saturday, February 13.