St. Joseph Hockey’s Second Weekend Back From Quarantine

Freshman Defensemen, Alex Gerard

Kalvin Kerwin, Staff Writer

The Indians had a couple tough games this weekend.

Friday, January 22, they faced off against Penn Hockey for Penn’s senior night.

The Kingsmen came out ready to fight, catching the indians off guard. At the end of the first period the Kingsmen had slipped one goal behind Kyle Tupper. Starting the second half, St. Joe knew they needed to step it up if they wanted to win this game.

In the second period the Kingsmen would score another goal to make it 2-0. The Indians would finally answer their goals with a rebound goal from Sneaky Pete. This would conclude the second period, making it 2-1.

During the third period the kings-men scored around goal, making it 3-1. The 3-1 lead is the worse lead in hockey. The team knew they were going to have to give it their all to get back in this game and hope arrived from Captian Kalvin Kerwin. Two back to back goals from Kerwin tied the game up ended the regulation time.

Saint Joe could not hold on in sudden death overtime as a Penn player slipped behind our defense to end the game.

On Saturday, January 23, St. Joe looked to win the series against Adams hockey after they had beaten the Indians in overtime the last time they faced off.

In the first period Karsen Meiszberg put the first point on the board, shortly answered by an adams goal. Kerwin put up another goal to take the lead, ending the first. Things then slowed down and no more scoring occurred in the second period.

In the third period Karsen Meiszberg would put up two additional points, giving himself a hat trick and finishing the game with an Indians win, 4-1.

On Sunday, January 24, St. Joe played Lake Central.

The physical Lake Central team put the Indians on their heals as they put up two fast goals in the first period. The Indians would end LC’s scoring. Struggling to come back the Indians put up a goal in the third period from Karsen Meiszberg making it   2-1. The team left it all on the ice and couldn’t find a way to put another puck away in the basket.

St Joe lost 2-1 to Lake Central.

The hockey team has 4 games next weekend, Friday against the SW Blades, Saturday against Riley for Saint Joe’s Senior night, Sunday against Valpo, and Monday versus Valpo again.

Support your boys this weekend!