Senior Memories – First Day Fist Bumps

Michael McNeill, Editor

Welcome to the second article in my series about the memories that we share as the class of 2021. This time, I have another tradition that started during our four years at Saint Joe – one that will surely continue far into our school’s future.

Of course, I’m talking about the new tradition of giving as many fist bumps as possible on the first day of school. This idea was brought into practice by none other than Mr. Kennedy, who has made a constant effort to bring our school together and form a stronger community. Since he joined Saint Joe as the new principal, Mr. Kennedy has worked tirelessly to make improvements wherever he can, and it certainly shows. The changes he’s made have brought our student body together, and his passion for our school is contagious to say the least.

Specifically, he introduced his idea of first day fist bumps for the same reason of creating closeness, and it definitely achieved that. Making it a competition to give fist bumps is a genius way to motivate students to interact with others and maybe even make new friends. At the very least, you are becoming familiar with your fellow students in a fun and lighthearted way. Also, with this being a tradition for the first day of school, it’s a great way to break the ice after students return from a long summer. Some have even come to Saint Joe for the first time ever, and this is even more beneficial for them. Of the many unforgettable things that have happened during the class of 2021’s time at this school, I hope this is one that you won’t ever forget and stays iconic to your experience at Saint Joe.

If reading this article has reminded you of any specific memories that you would like to see me write about, please do not hesitate to send me an email and tell me what came to mind! Thank you for reading, and have a great day.