Wrestlers Desperate Battle to Reach Regional

Erwin Luu, Staff Writer

After their win over Marian in the Holy War and on Marian’s senior night, the Saint Joe wrestling team went to sectionals at Mishawaka High School on Saturday, January 30. The team had high expectations to place and move onto regionals. The teams they faced were Mishawaka, Marian, Adams, Washington, Penn, Riley, and Clay. At the end of the day, four of our wrestlers made it out of sectionals: Jacob Marscola, Jack Aranowski, Amarion Parker, and Brady Ferrell.

Jacob Marscola has made his way into the top 4 in his weight division to qualify for regionals. He dominated a Marian’s 195 lb wrestler and received a forfeit to allow him to advance to regionals. Later in the day, he lost hard fought battles to both Penn and Mishawaka.

Jack Aranowski put himself in a good position coming into sectionals with a very successful season. All that was needed was a win in sectionals and that’s exactly what he got after a forfeit against Washington.

Brady Ferrell in the 132 lb division needed 1 win to advance into regionals as well and won his first match with a pin in under a minute. He lost his other 2 matches against Clay and Mishawaka, but he put a tough effort as he lasted all 3 rounds without getting pin against them, losing only by points.

Amarion Parker in the 160 lb division also needed 1 win to advance. He lost his first match against Riley, losing by only 2 points, but he quickly bounced back on his second match against Marian to win against his opponent in a pin under the first period. Later on, he lost against Mishawaka, putting up a tough fight as he lasted all three periods. One win is enough to advance him to regionals.

The four are advancing into regionals on Saturday, February 6 at Penn High School.