Girls’ Basketball 3A Sectional at Saint Joseph High School!

Mia Naman

This past week, Saint Joseph High School was able to host the Girls’ Basketball 3A Sectional 19 in Alumni Gymnasium! Throughout a series of six games, the Saint Joe Girls’ Basketball team was fortunate enough to play in a third of them.

The Lady Indians’ Basketball season came to an end this past weekend on Friday, February 5th as they fell to the Marian Knights 66-42. Despite the hard fight, the Indians just fell short, as the Knights  advanced to the Sectional final. 

Prior to the second bout of the season against Marian, Hannah Tyler brought the energy stating, “I’m super excited to play in my last basketball Holy War ever! I know the team will bring all they have and put up a strong fight.” Tyler was not wrong as the Lady Indians put up a battle all game long.

An early 3 from Knights sophomore Nevaeh Foster pushed her past the milestone of 1,000 career points. and helped establish a lead for Marian who went into the locker room up 32-19 at the half.

Mia Naman, Madison Naman, Kelly Ratigan, Tahjlynn Casares, and Peyton Hull all contributed to the seven threes for Saint Joseph. Sarah Hiestand lead the Indians with 16 points. Despite the hard work, the girls just fell short. The team always showed one hundred percent, ending with a record of 15-11. We are sad to see our seniors go, but the Lady Indians had a great season and are looking forward to next year!

The Knights continued on into the Sectional championship facing the South Bend Washington Panthers at 7 pm on Saturday, February 6th for the Sectional Title. The Panthers led 22-16 at halftime. The Panthers continued this energy into the second half, with Mila Reynolds becoming the 4th highest scorer in SB Washington’s history with 1,410 points! Washington channeled their energy to pull out a tough win, 51-42! This was the Panthers’ first Sectional title since 2009, prompting an emotional win with an exciting atmosphere. 

The Lady Panthers will take on Kankakee Valley in the first game of Regionals on Saturday, February 13th at 12:00 pm! The Regional tournament will take place at Jimtown High School, with South Bend Washington, Kankakee Valley, Griffith, and Lakeland all competing for the Regional Title.