Mary Cate Pruitt Looks to Three-peat 500 Yard Freestyle State Title

Mary Cate Pruitt

Notre Dame commit Mary Cate Pruitt is going for her third consecutive state title in the 500 yard freestyle this weekend.

John Bossler, Staff Writer

Saint Joe Senior swimmer Mary Cate Pruitt is heading down to state this weekend to defend her title in the 500 yard freestyle and pick up her third consecutive state title in the event.  The eight time sectional champion looks to keep her dominant streak alive going into the meet at the Indiana University Natatorium on the campus of Indiana University Purdue University – Indianapolis.  Pruitt has won the 500 her sophomore and junior years and placed second her freshman year. 

She also has placed in the top 8 in the 200 yard freestyle her freshman year, and top 3 her sophomore, and junior years.  The Notre Dame commit has worked hard all season and has remained undefeated in individual events.  Not only is she undefeated in the regular season individual events, but she is undefeated at the sectional level for her individuals, going eight for eight throughout her time as an Indian, breaking school and pool records wherever she goes.  Last year, the closest finisher behind Mary Cate in the 500 was seven seconds behind her.  This year, she is seeded first in the 500 and third in the 200 freestyle.  

Joining Mary Cate at state will be Emma Feltzer (seeded 7th in the 200 yard freestyle and 5th in the 100 yard freestyle), Lauren Pieniazkiewicz (seeded 9th in the 50 yard freestyle and 17th in the 100 yard breaststroke), Jane Lloyd (seeded 18th in the 200 yard individual medley, and 15th in the 100 yard backstroke), Olivia Elston (seeded 17th in the 100 yard backstroke), with Cece Farrell and Margaux Hannewyk as relay alternates.  The girls also sent two relays down to state: the 200 yard freestyle relay is seeded 4th and the 400 yard freestyle relay is seeded 5th.  Good luck girls!