Lacrosse Clashes with Chesterton

Ethan+Fullenkamp

Scott Leonard

Leader and Captain, Ethan Fullenkamp posses for his senior banner.

Kalvin Kerwin, Staff Writer

The boys lacrosse team lost a tight match with Chesterton, Thursday March 18th for their second game of the season and first home game.

They came out strong in the first quarter with two goals. The first goal was scored by Joe Saratore fed by Zach Yergler, with an incredible dodge by Saratore to get around the defender and put the first point up on the board. The second goal was scored by Elmhurst commit Luke Thomas. Thomas was assisted by Aiden Dowdle, a sophomore with unmatched speed and agility. Dowdle was able to outwork his defender and get a pass to senior leader Thomas in the crease area for a low shot.

Unfortunately the early Indians lead did not last. The first quarter ended 2-1 after Chesterton snuck one pasted Ben Bailey.

In the second quarter started, Chesterton started playing more physical and quicker. The physicality took the Indians offense by surprise and they began to miss shots by trying too hard to make a play quickly. The home team’s possession decreased and by the end of the second Chesterton had put up 4 additional goals – putting the Indians down 5-2.

The third began with another Chesterton goal to make it 6-2. Sophomore standout Zach Yergler turned his game up a notch and put up a fight for the home team. He took a drive from the point and battled his way to the net getting one past the strong goalie to raise the hopes of the team as the third quarter ended.

The final quarter began with sophomore standout, Antonio Morrel, making it 6-4. The Indians were closing their gap  and gaining momentum when Chesterton scored their final goal of the game.  Saratore scored the Indians last point taking the ball up close and personal to the Chesterton goalie and beating him with his stick skills.

The Indians had 33 shots to Chesterton’s 18, with 18 of the Indians shots on net and 12 Chesterton shots on net. The Indians dominated possession but lacked efficiency in scoring.

Come out and support the Indians for their next game Tuesday March 23, against Crown Point. JV at 6:30, Varsity at 7:30. Both at Saint Joseph’s Leighton Stadium.