Saint Joe Alum Making a Splash at Syracuse

Alan Achkar

Jacob Morris with current SJ senior Marie Achkar, who will be a freshman at Syracuse next fall.

Jack Bailey, Staff Writer

Saint Joe Class of 2018 Jacob Morris is currently a sophomore at Syracuse University, and a student of the prestigious S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. Morris is a Broadcast and Digital Journalism major, but he’s not just learning about the subject in of the classroom. He’s getting real-world experience as a part of Citrus TV, the student-run television studio at Syracuse, as well as WAER, which is a radio station that serves the Central New York area. Morris is on both television and live radio sharing analysis on everything Syracuse sports, and is a true example of working in a field you are passionate about.

I was able to listen to a few of Morris’ WAER clips, and the first thing that stood out to me was the enthusiasm in his voice. His enunciation and tone is made for the broadcasting business, and you can tell he cares about each word he’s sharing with the audience. In his Syracuse vs. Duke lacrosse preview, his spacing between words works perfectly with the audio clips that are inserted in the broadcast, and it is all one smooth, continuous flow. The skill of being able to speak in an entertaining and drawing way is obviously a key to the business, and Morris definitely has the “voice” that one thinks of when they think of sports broadcasting.

Another aspect of Morris’ broadcasting that really amazed me was the detail of his work, and the wording he uses to describe each sporting event. The previously mentioned lacrosse preview opens in an exciting way, saying “Syracuse lacrosse’s next opponent needs no introduction”, then immediately moving to an audio clip. Morris then describes both teams with vocabulary that keeps the audience engaged the entire way through, and teaches the audience all they need to know about the game. From statistics to key players, I felt like a hardcore fan after listening to his previews. The hard work that he puts into preparing for each segment can clearly be seen, as his words and analysis are top-notch.

You can catch Jacob Morris on Citrus TV and WAER Radio (88.3) for all of your Syracuse Athletics needs.