Penn Meet Recap

Liam Fuller, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, April 13, the Saint Joe Boys Track and Field team traveled to Penn High School to take on the Kingsmen. Although the boys did not get the result they had hoped for, there were still some fantastic performances on the day. Of particular note were

• Kevin Cousins: Cleared 12 ½ feet to take home first place in Pole Vault.
  • Sean Gibson: Jumped 22 feet, 7 inches to take win the Long Jump, and finished second in the 300 Hurdles. 
  • Liam Fuller: Ran a personal best of 51.9 in his 400-meter dash victory.
  • Carmelo Russo, Nick Njuguna, Alex Gutierrez, and Alex Garcia: Had a dazzling team effort in the 3200-meter relay, defeating Penn’s relay to win. 

This meet was the first meet in which the Boys were able to compete at full strength, after being affected by contact tracing for the Concord meet on March 30th. This meet was our ultimate test, as Penn is one of the best teams in all of the sectional. We had a lot of promising results, which makes me confident that the Boys team will turn some heads in the next few weeks as we prepare for the annual South Bend City Meet on Thursday, April 29th. 

The next dual meet on the calendar is a home meet against Clay High School at 5 PM, on Thursday, April 22nd, which happens to be on Earth Day. So get outside and enjoy the great outdoors in honor of Earth Day by coming out to cheer on your fellow Indians.