Truly Incredible Performance against Kettle Moraine

The Boys Lacrosse team has a fierce battle with the team from Wisconsin

Eric Deniger

Brick Wall Senior Goal Tender Ban Bailey

Kalvin Kerwin, Staff Writer

The Saint Joseph High School mens lacrosse team faced off against the Kettle Moraine Lazers last Saturday. Varsity played their best game of the season but unfortunately lost 16-13

In the first quarter things started very good for the Indians. Zach Yergler put the first point up on the board with 10 minutes left. Zach’s goal was scored from a great dodge from the top beating his defender and the second defender who fired at him. This was the only goal in the first for the Indians and Moraine clapped back with 4 goals. This stunned the boys and showed that this would be a hard, long game. St Joe took 10 shots in this quarter.

In the second the boys popped off. Antonio Morrell or Tippy showed out to start with 2 back to back goals. On his second, Yergler or honey badger got the assist. This narrowed Moraines lead on the Indians and Jack Tobolski off of a face off took it to the net and tied the game. The boys were absolutely killing it in this quarter. Following that Luke Thomas beat his defender and got under him for a rip and scored to put the team up 5-4. Antonio Morrell scored another goal for his hat trick and then Jack Ploman put one in off of an assist by Champ Farrell. Thomas got another goal assisted by Joe Saratore, and Tobolski also got another one past the net minder. Antonio Morrell finished off the Indians scoring in the second. He took 4 shots in the quarter and made all of them! The quarter ended 10-7, Saint Joe 3 goals ahead. The team took 11 shots and scored 9 of them.

In the third things started to slow down for St. Joe and speed up for Moraine. The only Saint Joe goal was scored by Luke Thomas with 10:15 left. Sadly Kettle Moraine made a huge come back. In lacrosse these come backs can happen instantly. The third ended 11-12 Kettle up 1 with 9 shots from the boys.

In the fourth Luke Thomas tied it back up with 10 minutes left in the game. Moraine took the lead again putting in 3 more goals on the Brick Wall Ben Bailey. In a final try to come back Joe Saratore scored with 3 minutes left to make the score 13-15. Moraine put one final one in to seal their win. (13-16)

Truly great game of lacrosse on both sides.  In the net, Ben Bailey saved a whopping 17 shots.  The Long Stick Mid Fielders (LSM’s)  played well as Anderson had 5 ground balls and Kerwin had 6. Freshman standout Jack Tobolski won 13 face-offs.

Jv also had a great game vs. the Lazers jv and held them until half time. At Half the score was 6-5 but they couldn’t hold on any longer. They lost 13-5.

Come support the team when they play Northridge at the North Fields on Thursday. Varsity at 8, Jv at 6:30. The team also has a double header this weekend on Saturday vs. Noblesville and Fishers.