Keeping up with Esports

Brian Gring, Staff Writer

Saint Joseph High School is no stranger to dominating sports. Now, Esports is on the list of rising St. Joe teams.

This year, Saint Joe started its first Esports season. Currently, St. Joe students compete in Rocket League and Super Smash Bros Ultimate matches and tournaments, with an Overwatch team preparing for games. The Super Smash Bros team is currently 5-1 and is dominating the playing field. St. Joe has two Rocket League teams, the first of which has a record of 4-1, and the second is currently 1-4.

When asked about the remainder of the season. Super Smash Bros team captain Seth Badics said “It’s the first year we’ve done any sort of thing relating to Esports so it’s hard to know what to expect sometimes. The important thing is to be open minded. We are just going to try our best to succeed and have fun along the way.”

Rocket League captain Jacob Dimino has a similar take on the season, saying “It’s our first year, we have no idea what to expect. We’re just here to have fun.” Super Smash Bros plays matches on Tuesdays every week, and both Rocket League teams play on Wednesdays.

At the end of the day, this is still the first year for St. Joe Esports. The teams have had a great start and are looking forward to playoffs in the coming weeks.