FBLA Leaders Committed to Making an Impact on Saint Joe Community

The leaders of FBLA are looking to guide the future leaders of the business world right here at Saint Joe.

FBLA is a nationwide club that comes to many high schools. Saint Joe is one of them, which has a flourishing community and active leadership.

https://www.fbla-pbl.org/divisions/fbla/

Benjamin Amat, Staff Writer

Future Business Leaders of America, or FBLA is one of the largest and most active clubs in Saint Joe. That means that an active and energetic leadership is necessary for this organization to bloom.

MacKenzie Schmeltz, the President of FBLA was interviewed asking about her leadership roles.

What is your role in FBLA?

I am the president of FBLA and I help coordinate club activities as well as getting things planned for our state leadership conference in the Spring.

How did you first find out about FBLA?

So I first joined FBLA my Sophomore year, and I really just wanted a little bit of extra business experience if I ever wanted to do something in business in my career. And I think it offers really great skills just for life.

What responsibilities do you have as president of FBLA?

So as president, I largely help run meetings and just try to make sure that everything runs smoothly. I also coordinate with the rest of my officers and we really try to make things work and make the biggest impact we can on our Saint Joe community.

What events and activities is FBLA planning for in the future?

So coming up in the second semester, FBLA will be traveling to Indianapolis for our state leadership conference. We will be competing in different business events. We are also planning on having a community service event sometime second semester, so that will hopefully involve a lot of the Saint Joe Community, so look out for that!

We really try to make things work and make the biggest impact we can on our Saint Joe community

— MacKenzie Schmeltz, President of FBLA

Vice President Andrew Achkar is also a very productive and efficient leader, where one of his primary roles is running the Meghan Beeler Cafe.

What is your role in FBLA?

I am the vice president of the FBLA club and as vice president I am given the role of the Cafe manager. Every day, I have to open and run the Cafe.

Why did you join FBLA?

I have always had an interest in business and I have always been curious how businesses ran and I wanted to see if I could learn anything new.

Who influenced you to join FBLA?

Both of my siblings were in the FBLA club, and growing up behind them, I saw the experience they had and I thought it would be cool if I could experience that, too.

What would you say to someone who is considering joining FBLA?

FBLA offers great opportunities and experiences to grow your experiences and knowledge about business if you are interested in going down that path in the future.

What are your responsibilities as vice president?

Running the Cafe, I have to take inventory, manage the prices, and decide what we sell.

What are the future plans for the Cafe?

The Cafe is planning to expand the menu, such as the hot chocolate we just got. We are also planning to take customers’ advice to see if we can appeal to more people.

When is the Cafe open?

The Cafe is open every day after school from 3:15 to 3:45, so come on down to buy a snack!

FBLA offers great opportunities and experiences to grow your experiences and knowledge about business if you are interested in going down that path in the future

— Andrew Achkar, Vice President of FBLA

Moderator Mrs. Kristine Martin also contributes to the role of FBLA, and has given out an update on recent activities and future events.

“FBLA welcomed Mr. Anthony as Co-Moderator. He is actively working with our Cafe Leadership to oversee its operations. FBLA is a very active club at Saint Joseph High School. Club members participate by working in the Meghan Beeler Cafe, attending Club Meetings and competing in the FBLA State Leadership Conference. Also, a service project with Unity Gardens in the spring is planned. The fundraiser each year is working the concession stand for athletics.

Club members have toured IUSB Judd Leighton School of Business and Economics. They wrote Thank you cards to area first responders and sent them to SB Firefighters Local 462. They also heard from Williamson Employment Agency on interview tips. Also, local, state and national ‘Business News’ is presented each meeting.

We work hard to earn your business. Stop by and see us after school.”

FBLA is a very active club at Saint Joseph High School. Club members participate by working in the Meghan Beeler Cafe, attending Club Meetings and competing in the FBLA State Leadership Conference.

— Mrs. Kristine Martin, Moderator of FBLA

FBLA is definitely has a strong leadership core, which makes it one of the most popular and productive clubs in the Saint Joe Community. This club has surely produced many business leaders, and hopefully more in the future.