Cino de Mayo

Colleen Loitz, Student Reporter

Cinco de Mayo is an annual Mexican celebration held on the 5th of May. On this date, in 1862, the Mexican Army beat the French in the Battle of Pueblo, during the Franco-Mexican War. The interesting thing about Cinco de Mayo is that is has become very Americanized and has very little meaning to the people of Mexico. It is also important to take note that Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico’s Independence Day, that is the most common misconception about this holiday.

In 1861, Mexico was under financial ruin after years and the president was forced to default on debt payments to the European government. 6,000 French troops invaded east-central Mexico. The Mexican however, outnumbered the French troops but were poorly supplied. The battle itself only lasted a day. The French struck by the number of Mexican soldiers backed out. In the end the French had lost some 500 soldiers, and Mexico had lost fewer than 100 soldiers.

So the question is, why does the United States celebrate it so much? The first and most obvious reason is because Americans love to have a good time and celebrate anything when we can. But more importantly, it is celebrated because of the strong Mexican culture that is throughout the United States. There are many ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo here in the states. Decorate your house with fun streamers, selfie photo balloons, make a special Mexican dinner, adults can make margaritas. Depending on where you live, there maybe a local parade near you. For the kids, print some coloring pages, or make a piñata. Have a fiesta!