Register to Vote at Saint Joe!

Braedon Troy, Staff Writer

“The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age” – Twenty-Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution

With the November 8th midterm elections fast approaching, Saint Joseph High School in association with student council is proud to once more announce the biannual voter registration drive. If you are over the age of eighteen and are a U.S citizen, feel free to stop by the table outside the cafeteria this Thursday, Friday, and Monday. All you need will be some form of government identification, and a device that can access the internet.

Why should you register to vote? Well, for starters, voting is undoubtedly one of the most important ways any person can engage with our city, county, state, and country. You have the power to make your own, unique voice heard in the country’s law making system, and this is a very powerful gift. Satisfied with the job a lawmaker is doing? Vote for them and let them know! Want to express anger or disappointment in a lawmaker? Vote for their opponent. The United States’ system is designed to fully represent the voices of the people, and now, for likely the first time, you will have the opportunity to let your representatives in government do so.

While the midterm elections can often be viewed as less important than presidential election years, it’s important to realize that they deeply affect laws and government as well. And this year, the elections are shaping up to be one of the most dramatic in recent memory. As of date of publication, polls are showing a massive amount of close races across the country between Democrats and Republicans. There will likely be no red or blue wave this year–meaning that every single race is critical for the next few years of the American government. It might seem easy to assume that your vote may not matter, or that one vote won’t change any results. That assumption is wrong–it will. Local elections have been decided recently by truly slim margins–where that one vote may have played a truly deciding role. And in a midterm environment that is looking to be as close as this one, those races may end up having truly massive impacts on the fate of our region, state, and nation. 

With all of this in mind, it is truly important that you vote this year if you are able (and if you can’t, there are a wide variety of other ways to get involved in the political process). Registering is an incredibly easy process that can be done wherever you are–including right here during lunch periods. Volunteers, including some of your student council members, will be happy to help you do so during this time. All you will need will be a government id, such as a drivers’ license, learners’ permit, or a State Identification card. If you will be 18 before election day, November 8th, 2022, and are a U.S citizen, Saint Joseph High School truly encourages you to stop by the table this and next week to register and to then go to the polls this November (or early vote!) to make your voices heard.