Making Our Voices Heard

Photo: New York Times

Kyle Feldkamp, Staff Writer

St. Joseph High School hosted a voter registration this monrh to register first-time voters and to inform students on how to best cast their ballots in this general election.

Registration was open to any student who will be 18 by or on November 3rd, 2020. However, any student above 15 was also able to receive information on how to volunteer at the polls for early voting or on election day.

Students were registered during lunch directly outside the Leep. Student volunteers assisted registrations on computers including computer sanitization after each use.

Last March students ran a successful voter registration drive in the lead up to the primary election. Dozens of students were registered and informed about election information. This fall the effort hoped to yield even more new voters.

In addition, students were able to receive information on candidates, early voting, absentee ballots, and volunteering at polling locations.

According to the United States Census Bureau, only 46% of young Americans (18-29-year-olds) turned out to vote in the 2016 presidential election. However, there is hope that turnout will be higher this year. A recent Harvard poll found that over 63% of young Americans plan on voting in the general election.