A SJGS Sister Bond: The Naman and Harrington Sisters

Sarah Hiestand, staff writer

The Saint Joseph Girls soccer team has two sets of siblings on varsity this year; the Naman and Harrington sisters. Both Mia Naman and Katie Harrington are seniors and Madison Naman and Lauren Harrington are sophomores. The two sets of sisters keep the team interesting to say the least.

Mia and Madison Naman play basketball and soccer at Saint Joe and also take rigorous academic courses. Mia is involved in mathletes, NHS, Spanish Honors Society, and student council as this year’s Student Body Secretary. Madison is involved in mathletes, FBLA, and student council. Balancing athletics with academics has always been a challenge for the Naman sisters but they said with good time management and a good work ethic, it can be done. It always gives the team a laugh when they argue in practice as sisters do. As an upperclassmen and an older sister, Mia has some occasional fun bossing Madison around at practice. As the two oldest of six kids, they are used to adjusting to craziness in their lives and are calm on the field because of it. Also, being the only two girls in the family helps them because they know how to be physical on the field. Madison speaks highly of her sister and looks up to her as a leader and older sister. Mia also says Madison inspires her, seeing how successful she has become on the soccer field as only a sophomore. They both have loved playing this soccer season together. “It’s so special because it’s not something everyone can say they’ve done, and I’m so grateful to have such an experience that has brought Madison and I so close,” Mia says when asked how she likes playing two sports with her younger sister. 

The second set of siblings on the soccer team is Katie and Lauren Harrignton. Soccer runs in their blood. Their older sister Lindsey played soccer at Saint Joe and was in the class of 2018, and their father Matt Harrington coached their club teams growing up. As a senior, Katie values this team and the friendships she has created through soccer. She also plays travel soccer for Jr. Irish, and has grown up playing with many of the seniors on this team. “I have loved every second of playing with these girls, and I can’t wait to see all the great things they do after they graduate,” Katie says when asked what she loves most about this team. Katie is unsure of her plans in college but whether she plays soccer or not her future is bright. Lauren plays both soccer (for Saint Joe and Jr. Irish), and basketball. She loves having her big sister on the team and says she has always looked up to her on the field growing up. Lauren has worked hard to earn a starting spot as a sophomore and recently scored in the Marian game to send us into overtime. Lauren has a big personality to balance with Katie being a little on the shy end. Although they don’t always tell each other how much they appreciate playing together, I speak on behalf of the team when saying we can tell how much they enjoy each other as teammates. 

Both the Harringtons and Namans have the unique experience of playing with their sisters and have a few weeks left to truly cherish this time together as the girl’s soccer team heads into playoffs this week. The two sets of sisters will be talking about their times playing sports together for years to come. It is truly amazing to know these sisters and play with them on the field.