Girls’ Soccer gets ready for Postseason

Senior Sarah Hiestand

Ethan Fullenkamp, Reporter

On Wednesday, the Saint Joe girls soccer team finished their regular season with a record of 12-2, ending as NIC co-champions, and #6 in the state. 

To kick off the season, the girls’ got off to a hot start, winning 12 games in a row. In their first 12 games the Indians only allowed 1 goal, which was in a 3-1 victory over a strong Brebeuf team. Over the course of the season Saint Joe had impressive wins against Crown Point, Chesterton, Breubeuf and a dominating 3-0 win against NIC rival Penn. The lady Indians were looking to end their regular season undefeated, but that came to an end after they suffered a tough 4-0 loss to #3 Guerin Catholic. After their first loss Saint Joe went to play #1 (2A) Marian in a battle for the NIC championship. The action packed game ended 1-1 and went into PK’s, but sadly the Indians couldn’t finish the match, and suffered their second loss of the season. However Saint Joe still ended the regular season 4-1 in the NIC as NIC champions with a very impressive 12-2 record. 

The Indians had spectacular stats all across the board with 88 shots, 55 goals of which 43 were assisted and only 5 goals against. The ladies also had all of their game stats above national average with a stunning 4.2 goals per match, 3.3 assists per match, and an outstanding 0.385 goals against per match. The team was led by senior striker Georgia Place with 18 goals on the year, and junior facilitator Ella Scott with 10 assists. Other key contributors on offense included Natalie Moore with 28 total points (10 goals, 8 assists), Sarah Hiestand with 20 points (7 goals, 6 assists) and sophomore Ella Frick with 10 points (3 goals, 4 assists). The phenomenal defense was led by Hannah O’Connell in goal with 39 saves, and key minutes from sophomore goalie Peyton Hull, along with defenders Bella Troester, Halle Gilbert, Audra Meyer and Josie Lloyd keeping shots off goal. 

The lady Indians look to revenge their loss in regionals last year by making a deep run in the tournament, as they face the winner of LaPorte and Mishawaka at 7:00 on Thursday at School Field. If the Indians win their first match they will play the winner of Adams and Riley at 2:00 on Saturday at School Field to finish off sectionals. To keep up with the girls season you can see scores and schedule on the Saint Joe website:https://saintjoeathletics.com/teams/2892138/girls/soccer/varsity , follow the girls soccer team on twitter @SJGSoccer. Make sure to come out and support the girls as they start their postseason run.