Emma Feltzer’s Commitment to Illinois State

Emma Feltzer

Emma Feltzer commits to Illinois State University Swimming for the 2021-2022 season

John Bossler, Staff Writer

Saint Joseph High School senior Emma Feltzer recently committed to swim at Illinois State University.  I caught up with her to learn more about why she committed.

When asked why she chose Illinois State, she said “I just remember on my visit waking up in the middle of the night.  I couldn’t go back to sleep, I was so excited!”  Feltzer swims primarily sprint freestyle, ranging from the 100 yard freestyle to the 500 yard freestyle and is a skilled backstroker.

I asked what about the team stood out to her.  She answered “all the girls felt like family right away.  I love the coaches, the pool is great.  It just felt like home!”  When I asked her what she planned on studying in college she said “I’m thinking about majoring in psychology and maybe even getting a minor in Spanish.”

Emma is one of many stand out swimmers on the Saint Joseph Girls Swimming and Diving team.  At the 2020 IHSAA Girls High School Swimming and Diving State Championship, she placed 13th in the 200 yard freestyle (1:52.56), 11th in the 100 yard freestyle (52.06), was a part of the 7th place 200 freestyle relay (split 23.75), and the 9th place 400 yard freestyle relay (split 52.58).  She swims with Irish Aquatics outside of high school and has qualified for a number of national level meets.

Make sure to say congratulations when you see her in the halls!