Girls’ Golf 2020 Season Recap

Bella

From left to right: freshman Keely Bogin, freshman Elle Guyton, senior Izzy Riboni, Katie Kloska, Bella Saratore, senior Dot Crumlish, MacKenzie Schmeltz, freshman Margaux Hannewyk

Despite the limitations resulting from covid-19, the girls’ golf team was able to have a full and successful season with minimal changes. Through their incredible team chemistry and work ethic, the ladies overcame any challenges facing their way, resulting in them having a solid and competitive season.

The girls kicked off the year by winning the Plymouth invite, led by senior Bella Saratore who placed first individually by shooting an 80. Throughout a majority of the regular season, the girls were tied for first in the conference. They placed 2nd at NIC with two 2nd place individual scores of 78 from senior Katie Kloska and junior MacKenzie Schmeltz, and a 6th place individual score of 83 from Bella Saratore. This ultimately caused them to end the year placing 2nd in the conference. The team also placed 2nd in the sectional championship, and this victory gave them the opportunity to advance to regionals the following weekend. The team placed 7th overall, and Katie Kloska placed 4th individually with a 79 to advance to the next level of competition: state.

State consisted of the top 100 girls in Indiana coming together to display their skills in one intense weekend. Katie impressively played throughout the two days as she shot an 82 and an 83, which allowed her to end up placing 25th in the competition. This was an amazing way to end her 4-year long varsity golf career.

Katie Kloska, Bella Saratore, and MacKenzie Schmeltz earned all-conference honors for their impressive seasons.

With three young and enthusiastic freshmen, the team is excited to continue the legacy of current and previous competitive years. Make sure to continue to follow your lady Indians in the years to come!