Saint Joseph Indians Hockey vs Buffalo Grove/Hersey/Wheeling Game #1

Kalvin Kerwin, Staff Writer

The Saint Joseph High School hockey team played their first game on Sunday Oct 11 against the combining schools of Buffalo Grove, Hersey and Wheeling. The Illinois team started off strong which caught the Indians off guard. Good thing for the strong goaltending by Zach Yergler. The Indians were brought up to speed and period 1 ended zero to zero.

Late in the second period the Indians spirits were raised with a goal from Karsen Meiszberg with 8 minutes left to go. While Meiszberg was scoring his first goal of the season, freshman Anthony Tirotta responded with his first goal of his high school career with less than a minute left in the second! Tirotta’s goal was assisted by senior Kalvin Kerwin. The second period ended with the Indians up two goals. The Indians short bench finally got to catch their breaths as the ice was being groomed. The Indians sare still without the services of senior goaltender Kyle Tupper and junior Brady Taylor due the success of the Saint Joe soccer team. Sophomore Teddy Hosinski was also not on the bench Sunday.

In the final period, Buffalo Grove scored quickly to make it 2-1 but then was quickly responded to by Karsen Meiszberg for his second of the night to make it 3-1 with 7 minutes left in the third. Following Meiszberg, junior Jack Plomin put one in the basket, with an incredible assist by Kerwin to make it 4-1 with 6 minutes left in the game. Unfortunately the Indians could not hold it together, with multiple penalties on both sides, the Illinois came back with three goals within five minutes. The Indians ended with a tie 4-4. Friday October 16th the Indians square off with Adams high school at the Ice Box at 7 o’clock.  Cheer for Saint Joseph High School hockey team this week!