Athlete Spotlight: Sammy Sierra

Sara Fry, Reporter

Sammy Sierra, a name that dominates the pool. His love for the sport began at a young age which then created a passion to swim competitively. At the age of eight Sierra began to swim at South Bend Swim Club to kick start his swimming career.

Sierra’s high school success has been unmatched, being awarded CO-NIC MVP his sophomore year as well as, MVP at a conference meet, and Student-Athlete of the week. The list could go on and on but those only include his success at his time at Saint Joe. Sierra has gone to state three times throughout his high school experience and intends on continuing that this year! Sierra swims “pretty much anything, but my main events are to 200 individual medley and the 100 butterfly.” His PR for the 200 IM is an impressive 1:50.5 and his PR for the 100 butterfly is 48.7!

Sierra was approached by Notre Dame around a year ago about his plans after high school. Sierra had an official offer from the University of Notre Dame for swimming in early October of 2021. Sierra always had a love and passion for the school and so he knew when the opportunity arose, he couldn’t pass it up. Sierra states the thing he is most excited about is “going to Notre Dame football games.” Sierra’s signed his National Letter on Intent on November 10th, along with three other classmates.

When Sierra is not in season for Saint Joe’s swim team, he competes for Irish Aquatics. Being on the club team pushes him to continue to be the best possible swimmer he can be going up against difficult opponents. In his free time, Sierra likes to spend his time golfing.